







President Donald Trump just dropped a diplomatic bombshell by barring South Africa from the 2026 G-20 summit, a move that’s shaking up international relations, as Fox News reports.
Hosting the event at his Miami Doral Resort, Trump cited grave human rights concerns as the reason for this unprecedented exclusion, alongside a series of punitive measures that signal a deep rift with Pretoria.
Let’s rewind a bit to see how this unfolded, starting with tensions that have been simmering for months between Trump and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Earlier this year, Trump suspended U.S. aid to South Africa, pointing to alleged discrimination against white farmers as a sticking point.
By spring, the U.S. State Department took the drastic step of expelling South Africa’s ambassador, branding him persona non grata, a rare and pointed rebuke.
Shortly after, a heated Oval Office clash between Trump and Ramaphosa over reported violence against white Afrikaners only poured fuel on the fire of deteriorating relations.
Fast forward to early November, and the U.S. made waves by boycotting the G-20 meeting in Johannesburg, unhappy with South Africa’s handling of rural violence and the summit’s focus on climate over economic issues.
This wasn’t just a quiet protest; it marked a stark departure from America’s usual engagement in the G-20, a powerhouse group representing 80% of global GDP.
One wonders if this was a missed chance for dialogue, or if showing up would’ve just legitimized what Trump sees as misplaced priorities.
Then came the big announcement on Wednesday: Trump declared South Africa would not be invited to the 2026 G-20 summit in Miami, a historic first in over 20 years of the forum’s existence.
“At my direction, South Africa will NOT be receiving an invitation to the 2026 G-20, which will be hosted in the Great City of Miami, Florida, next year,” Trump posted on Truth Social, leaving no room for ambiguity.
But he didn’t stop there, also halting all U.S. payments and subsidies to South Africa effective immediately, a financial gut punch that raises questions about broader economic fallout.
South Africa’s diplomatic circles aren’t taking this lying down, with Clayson Monyela, head of diplomacy for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, warning of dire consequences for the G-20 itself.
“South Africa is a founding member of the G-20... If other members allow this, then the G-20 will die,” Monyela told Fox News Digital, hinting at a potential unraveling of the group’s unity.
Adding intrigue, Monyela noted, “Other countries have already told us that they too will boycott the U.S. G-20 if South Africa is excluded,” suggesting Trump’s gamble could backfire with a diplomatic domino effect.
Trump’s stance, while rooted in serious allegations of human rights abuses, risks fracturing a key international forum at a time when global cooperation is already on shaky ground.
Critics might argue this is less about principle and more about political theater, but the concern over violence against farmers in South Africa isn’t a trivial matter to dismiss out of hand.
With no immediate comment from the White House, State Department, or South African Embassy to Fox News Digital, the world watches as this standoff unfolds, unsure if bridges can be rebuilt before the Miami summit.



