Special prosecutor Jack Smith - the man whom the Biden administration has chosen to weaponize the law against President Joe Biden's top 2024 rival - has admitted to, essentially, withholding evidence from Trump's legal team.
Special counsel Jack Smith and his team admitted to a slip-up in the Mar-a-Lago documents case discovery process and have taken the steps needed to rectify the problem.
As Newsweek reports, the so-called slip-up occurred in the classified documents case that Smith has brought against Trump. It is one of Smith's three criminal indictments of Trump. A fourth is expected in the not-too-distant future.
Smith, in the classified documents case, originally charged Trump with 37 crimes. The Washington Examiner reports:
Among the charges include 31 counts of willful retention of national defense information, one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice, one count of withholding a document or record, one count of corruptly concealing a document or record, one count of concealing documents in a federal investigation, one count of scheme to conceal, and one count of making false statements and representations.
Trump has already pled not guilty to these charges. But, recently, after some more damning revelations about Hunter Biden, Smith filed three superseding charges against Trump.
The Independent reports:
The new filing came late on Thursday, and in it prosecutors alleged that Mr Trump and co-defendant Walt Nauta conspired with another Mar-a-Lago worker, Carlos De Oliveira, to attempt to have surveillance footage from the club deleted so it could not be provided to the grand jury investigating the presence of classified documents at his property.
Trump has also pleaded not guilty to these charges, which he referred to as "harassment" and "election interference."
The admission from Smith came on Monday, July 31, 2023.
Newsweek reports, "On Monday, in a letter signed by Smith and others, the team handling the investigation reported that it had provided additional materials, including surveillance footage to Trump's legal team, as part of the case's discovery process."
In the letter, according to Newsweek, Smith claims that he made a "mistake."
"The letter explained that the materials were not previously provided by mistake, realizing the error as it prepared to submit the superseding indictment," the outlet reports.
It turns out, though, that this all took place after Smith had told the court that he had handed "all necessary files" over to Trump.
"The materials were originally obtained by the government in May, with the DOJ attesting in court on July 18 that all necessary files had been turned over, which it said in hindsight was 'therefore incorrect,'" Newsweek reports.
We'll have to see, going forward, how many other "mistakes" of this nature Smith makes.