President Joe Biden ordered the National Archives and Records Administration to unseal 11,200 documents pertaining to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy Thursday, the Daily Caller reported. This came after an executive order requiring "currently withheld" documents be released by Dec. 15.
The action was a continuation of the 1992 President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act. It stipulated that government files on Kennedy's assassination that happened in Dallas, Texas, on Nov. 22, 1963, "be eventually disclosed" provided they wouldn't threaten national or military security.
The bill was to sunset in October 2017 with then-President Donald Trump. Out of 3,100 documents, 2,800 were released due to concerns about national security at the time, with the rest being held up ostensibly due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, in 2021 Biden ordered "the full set of almost 16,000 records that had previously been released in redacted form" to be made public, Fox News reported. Government agencies in charge of the task "determined that more than 70 percent of those records may now be released in full."
"This significant disclosure reflects my Administration's commitment to transparency and will provide the American public with greater insight and understanding of the Government's investigation into this tragic event in American history," Biden's executive order claimed. However, some documents were once again held back "to protect against an identifiable harm to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or the conduct of foreign relations that is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in disclosure."
Last December, the government unsealed 1,500 documents on Kennedy's suspected killer, Lee Harvey Oswald, though there were several more left out. Fox's legal analyst Gregg Jarrett said at the time, "The government, to this day, continues to hide thousands of assassination records."
"There are some surprising results and information in those documents," Jarrett said. "But, thousands more are yet to be released."
Legal experts and media outlets will likely sift through thousands of pages of newly released material in the coming days. Some are hoping it may finally lay to rest the two most popular conspiracy theories surrounding Kennedy's assassination.
The first theory is that Oswald was not actually the gunman that took Kennedy down that day, despite the findings of the Warren Commission spearheaded by Chief Justice Earl Warren in 1964. The second is that the assassination was a government plot to have the then-president killed.
While anything outside of the official narrative -- that Oswald acted alone and shot Kennedy from the window of the Texas School Book Depository -- is speculation, some facts simply don't add up. The most notable is that Oswald, who was being escorted through the basement of the Dallas police headquarters, was shot point blank by nightclub owner Jack Ruby.
Fox News host Tucker Carlson found that to be a compelling cause for speculation. "A lone gunman murders the president of the United States. And then, less than 48 hours later, that lone gunman is himself murdered by another lone gunman," Carlson pointed out. "What are the odds of that?"
The host went on to point to other problems, such as the fact that the CIA withheld information from Warren Commission. One of the most notable is that psychiatrist Louis Jolyon West who met with Ruby and deemed him "technically insane," did not divulge that he was part of the spy agency.
Carlson claimed that someone with "access to these still hidden CIA documents" answered affirmatively that the CIA was involved. "I believe they were involved. It's a whole different country from what we thought it was. It's all fake," the informant said.
It's unlikely that evidence of a government conspiracy would ever be released even if it existed. Still, it's important to keep talking about it until the matter is settled -- even if for no other reason than to apply that lesson to today.