An earlier report on Monday that former vice president Mike Pence has filed to compete for the GOP presidential nomination in 2024 received a response from a representative for him.
Pence's name was on a Statement of Candidacy form that was submitted to the Federal Election Commission, but Devin O'Malley claims that Pence wasn't the one who did it, according to a report by The Conservative Brief.
“Former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for President today,” O’Malley noted. The representative made his comments in response to the accusations in the form of a response to a tweet from a reporter claiming that the former VP had entered the race.
But the denial wasn’t fast enough, as some media outlets ran stories claiming that Pence had filed.
“Someone filed a Pence filing. But it wasn’t Pence, his spokesman says, suggesting it was a prank,” tweeted New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.
Although it's unclear how someone could submit a statement of candidacy on behalf of someone else, Pence admitted last month that he was offering "prayerful consideration" running for president in the next election cycle.
If he did, he would face former President Donald Trump, who is the only candidate from either of the two major political parties who has formally declared his candidacy.
Prior to becoming vice president, Pence was Indiana's governor and a representative in the US House of Representatives.
“We’re giving it consideration in our house. Prayerful consideration,” Pence told David Muir in an extended interview on ABC’s “World News Tonight.”
When Muir questioned Pence on whether he thought Trump should be president again, the former VP said, “That’s up to the American people. But I think we’ll have better choices in the future.” He went on to say, “For me and my family, we’ll be reflecting about what our role is in that.”
Pence claimed last month that he had developed a "genuine friendship" with Trump, which made their disagreement over the vice president's unwillingness to take electoral votes into account so painful at the end of Trump's term. “It’s part of what made what happened at the end so difficult.”
During a gathering at his Mar-a-Lago resort last month, Trump officially announced his bid for the presidency in 2024: Trump told the cheering crowd in the room that "America's recovery starts right now. Unlike other presidents, I kept my promises."
“The world was at peace, America was prospering, and our country was on track for an amazing future— because I made big promises to the American People and, unlike other Presidents, I kept my promises,” he said. “Under our leadership, we were a great and glorious nation, something you haven’t heard for quite a long period of time. We were a strong nation, and importantly we were a free nation. Now, we are a nation in decline. We are a failing nation.”
Trump declared: “I am tonight again announcing my candidacy for President of the United States.”