Former President Donald Trump has been the victim of several witch hunts. It's possible the most recent is the ugliest yet.
A new New York law will allow E. Jean Carroll, who waited more than two decades to come out with her claim that Trump raped her, to file a new lawsuit against the former president, the Washington Examiner reported. Carroll claimed Trump had raped her in a department store dressing room in the mid-1990s.
Carroll, a former columnist for Elle, revealed the allegation in her 2019 book. She claimed that either in 1995 or 1996, she ran into Trump, arguably the most well-known real estate mogul in the nation even back then, at NYC's upscale Bergdorf Goodman department store.
She claimed that they chatted about lingerie before he pinned her against a dressing room wall and sexually assaulted her. Carroll said she fought Trump off and escaped this attack.
The statute of limitations had prevented her from filing charges since she'd waited so long. However, Carroll had a lucky break when Democratic New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signed the Adult Survivors Act into law last spring.
The law will go into effect Nov. 24 and provide one year for victims to file their old claims before closing again. Currently, Carroll is suing the former president for defamation for remarks he made in his own defense.
"I'll say it with great respect: Number one, she's not my type," Trump said of Carroll in 2019. "Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?" he said.
"Totally lying," Trump said. "I don't know anything about her. I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her. She is — it's just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that."
Rape is a horrendous crime. However, accusing an innocent man of the crime is even worse -- and so far, Carroll has yet to provide any proof beyond her say-so.