After a week long trial and roughly seven hours of deliberation, a federal jury in California this week convicted David DePape in a violent 2022 attack on Paul Pelosi, husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), at their San Francisco home, as the Washington Examiner reports.
As a result of the verdict, DePape now faces the possibility of up to 50 years in prison, not including any additional sentence that could arise from a potential conviction on state charges also leveled against him last year.
According to reports, DePape displayed little emotion as the jury declared his guilt on counts of attempted kidnapping of a federal official as well as assault on the immediate family member of a federal official.
The trial itself had moments of real drama, particularly when Mr. Pelosi took the stand to recount precisely what happened on that fateful night last October, when DePape appeared at the Pacific Heights home he shares with his wife.
As the Associated Press reported, Paul Pelosi explained to the court the surprise and bewilderment he experienced when he spotted a strange man at his bedroom door in a situation that escalated into one of significant aggression.
“It was a tremendous sense of shock to recognize that somebody had broken into the house and looking at him and looking at the hammer and the ties, I recognized that I was in serious danger, so I tried to stay as calm as possible,” Mr. Pelosi said.
He went on to explain that he remembered waking up to the sounds of DePape bursting into his bedroom and inquiring as to the whereabouts of Mrs. Pelosi.
Upon telling DePape that his wife was out of town, Mr. Pelosi was told by the assailant that he planned to use zip ties as a restraint and top keep him captive until she returned.
Paul Pelosi stated, “We had some conversation with him saying she was the leader of the pack, he had to take her out, and that he was going to wait for her.”
During the frightening episode, Mr. Pelosi was able to make his way to the bathroom, where he placed a call to 911, but when police arrived, DePape struck him with a hammer.
The attack left Paul Pelosi unconscious on the floor in a pool of blood, causing injuries which required multiple surgical procedures and a substantial recuperation period.
Following DePape's conviction, a spokesperson for Nancy Pelosi issued a statement that said, “Speaker Pelosi and her family are deeply grateful for the outpouring of prayers and warm wishes for Mr. Pelosi from so many across the country during this difficult time.”
“The Pelosi family is very proud of their Pop, who demonstrated extraordinary composure and courage on the night of the attack a year ago and in the courtroom this week,” the statement added.
With the federal case now concluded, DePape is scheduled for a hearing on Nov. 29 in the state case against him, though San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins suggested that, given his conviction this week on federal charges and the lengthy sentence he now faces, her prosecution of the defendant may not go forward.