A grand jury in New Mexico will soon consider whether or not it is appropriate to re-file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin.
The charges were in connection with the murder of "Rust" cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in 2021, as CNN reported on Tuesday.
“After extensive investigation over the past several months, additional facts have come to light that we believe show Mr. Baldwin has criminal culpability in the death of Halyna Hutchins and the shooting of Joel Souza,” New Mexico special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis said in a statement Tuesday.
“We believe the appropriate course of action is to permit a panel of New Mexico citizens to determine from here whether Mr. Baldwin should be held over for criminal trial.”
NBC was the first to break the story that a new investigation would be handed over to a grand jury.
The prosecutor's office has indicated that they will submit their case sometime within the next two months.
“It is unfortunate that a terrible tragedy has been turned into this misguided prosecution,” Baldwin’s attorneys, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro, told CNN in a statement. “We will answer any charges in court.”
During a rehearsal for a scene, Hutchins was shot and murdered, and director Joel Souza was injured when a gun held by Baldwin accidentally discharged a live cartridge.
In a prior interview with CNN, Baldwin denied having been the one to pull the trigger on the weapon.
Earlier on in this year, the charges of involuntary manslaughter against Baldwin were dropped, following a high-profile and very public examination of the facts.
Due to "new facts" in the case, the prosecution stated in a statement that it was impossible for them to "proceed under the current time constraints and on the facts and evidence turned over by law enforcement in its existing form" at the time.
In connection with this investigation, Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed is also being charged with involuntary Manslaughter. She is maintaining her innocence at this time.
David Halls, who was serving as the film's associate director at the time, has been identified as the individual who passed the pistol to Alec Baldwin on the tragic day.
Prosecutors have stated that he signed a plea agreement earlier this year "for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon," and they have also mentioned that the terms of the settlement include a period of probation lasting six months.