A former Taliban commander is facing charges for the deaths of three U.S. Army soldiers between 2007 and 2009, according to a report by Fox News.
Haji Najibullah is facing terrorism-related charges over actions in Afghanistan that turned out to be deadly:
“Najibullah, who allegedly served as a Taliban commander in 2007 and 2008, is charged with numerous terrorism offenses relating to attacks against the U.S. military in Afghanistan, including an attack that killed three U.S. service members, and others relating to taking an American journalist hostage in Afghanistan,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Mark J. Lesko in a press release Thursday.
“He will now be held accountable in an American courtroom.”
According to court documents concerning the 45-year-old Afghan national’s case, he was previously charged with kidnapping an American journalist in 2008, but the new charges include the attack on a U.S. military convoy which resulted in the deaths of three soldiers and an Afghan interpreter.
Additionally, the Afghan national is being charged with shooting down a U.S. military helicopter in October of the same year:
“As alleged, during one of the most dangerous periods of the conflict in Afghanistan, Haji Najibullah led a vicious band of Taliban insurgents who terrorized part of Afghanistan and attacked U.S. troops,” said U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss for the Southern District of New York. “Najibullah will answer for his heinous acts in an American courtroom.”
Najibullah, the commander thought to be responsible for the Jaghato district in Afghanistan’s Wardak Province with more than 1,000 troops in his command, was extradited from Ukraine in Oct. 2020, according to Fox, and is now being held in federal custody.