Critical race theory could cause some voters to turn away from Democrats in future elections, according to a new Politico report on Monday.
“Democrats appear to be underestimating parents’ anger in places where critical race theory is top of mind. Objections to new equity plans are not the sole province of conservatives but extend to many moderate and independent voters,” Politico said.
“Parents who are showing up to school board meetings and have helped launch a spate of recall elections say they are angry about a host of issues, including what they see as a myopic focus on diversity at school boards, ongoing frustration over a year of closed schools and school lesson plans that they say are becoming too progressive, too fast,” it added.
One popular example was the Loudoun School Board meeting. The debate over critical race theory became so heated that it resulted in parents being arrested.
According to a report by The Hill, “The problem for Democrats is that despite strong appeal to the left, CRT is not broadly targeted at the general population.”
It added, “It is aimed at primarily one group, Blacks, who made up just 13 percent of the electorate in 2020. This means it is not aimed at the remaining 87 percent of the population — including their base groups where they need to win big majorities.”
Democrats have made themselves vulnerable through embracing a philosophy at odds with many voters. The midterms will offer the ultimate evidence of how voters will respond to candidate who embrace and promote critical race theory.