House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has been shooting down potential COVID-19 relief deals for months, refusing to budge in the slightest despite repeated efforts from the White House to come to a consensus.
Most recently, Pelosi ended negotiations with the White House once again this week, refusing a $1.3 trillion deal offered by the White House because the sum is not large enough to meet the needs of the American people.
Despite the fact that this latest offer added $300 billion in funding from the previous $1 trillion offer, it’s not enough for Pelosi.
White House Chief of Staff revealed earlier this week that President Trump is “right now willing to sign something at $1.3 trillion.”
Pelosi threw the offer back in Meadows’ face just hours later, saying that Democrats will not agree to a deal worth less than $2.2 trillion taxpayer dollars.
“We have said again and again that we are willing to come down, meet them in the middle — that would be $2.2 trillion,” Pelosi told reporters on Thursday. “When they’re ready to do that, we’ll be ready to discuss and negotiate. I did not get that impression.”
Pelosi’s justification for declaring that Democrats “are not budging” on the $2.2 trillion figure is that any lower figure amounts to “rejecting the funding needed for testing and tracing to crush the virus and safely reopen schools and the economy.”
The negotiations, which have already been dragging on since May, appear to be likely to push on into September as the US continues to struggle to recover from the economic damage caused by widespread and ongoing lockdowns.