August 19, 2022

Vast majority of Americans oppose plan to pay reparations likely to be pushed by Biden administration

There was a time when America was a place that judged people as individuals and not by the color of their skin. It looks as though those days are over.

President-elect Joe Biden is expected to consider legislation to pay reparations to black Americans for slavery as part of his divisive racial agenda, the Washington Times reported. However, according to the Times’ analysis, even most of Biden’s own voters are unlikely to approve of the scheme.

Despite Democrats and the mainstream media pushing the concept, they still can’t get a majority of voters on board with a move that could cost taxpayers a staggering $6.2 quadrillion.

Only about a third of likely voters were in favor of paying reparations to black Americans who could prove their slave lineage, Rasmussen Reports found.

Of those polled, the only subcategory that had majority approval of taxpayer-funded reparations was black voters, with 60% in favor of the measure. Among political subgroups, 47% of Democrats supported the measure while only about 1 in 5 Republicans were in favor of it.

Still, many believe that it could be codified under the new administration. On Monday, Rep. Shelia Jackson Lee (D-TX) introduced HR 40, a bill meant to establish a 13-person commission to examine the issue, weighing the role slavery had in creating a “systemically racist” nation — which has elected a black president twice and recently a black vice president — over 150 years since the abolition of slavery.

“Given the role that black people played in the election, getting him nominated and saving his campaign — there’s no reason they shouldn’t support this bill,” University of Pennsylvania history professor Mary Frances Berry said about the president-elect and his running mate Kamala Harris. “This is one of the best ways to make good on their promise to attack systemic racism and white supremacy and elevate the economic and social condition of black people.”

The bill has 173 co-sponsors behind it, although it has yet to go to a full vote. Biden’s platform has referenced a need to root out systemic racism, and the president-elect has expressed interest in reparations of some kind although he has not specifically mentioned support for the bill by name.

Many speculate that Biden will go forward as a way to back-peddle on his previous law and order stance that critics believe disproportionately targets black citizens. Vice President-elect Kamala Harris also has similar issues because of her time as a prosecutor putting black men and women behind bars in California. Reparations would be a great way to atone for those supposed sins.

rocky (@guest_1103658)

How about this we pay and they denounce their citizenship and move back to their home country!!

SGT Preston (@guest_1103728)
Reply to  rocky

Better yet. How about we pay to ship those that want to go back to Africa, back to their “homeland”. Then let them fend for themselves.

Cheryl jolley (@guest_1103768)
Reply to  SGT Preston

Funny you should make that comment because at a time in our country huge ships were purchased and all those who had been slaves could return to the country they had been removed from and very few wanted to return to their own country ! My vote is NO money !

Vic Neri (@guest_1103785)
Reply to  Cheryl jolley

Nothing will change by giving the black community money. Hatred will still be present, gangs wouldn’t care. Business as usual.

Mamacancook (@guest_1103793)
Reply to  Vic Neri

Amen!! They get everything for free already.

Sharon (@guest_1103829)
Reply to  Vic Neri

I believe all the black ppl want is want everyone wants. A job, good schools etc. The democrats just wants their vote and then to heck with them. Trump gave them all that and more, their dignity. Only the democrats keep playing the race card.

Randall (@guest_1103795)
Reply to  SGT Preston

How about we ship them back whether they want to go or not.There will be nobody saying you raciss anymore.

Jimk (@guest_1103764)
Reply to  rocky

Nah, they have to stay and pay for everything they destroyed, return all they stole or go to prison like the rest of their family.

Victor S Lawson (@guest_1103788)
Reply to  rocky

What about my ancestors that were held in bondage/slavery before there was even a single black slave in the colonies? BTW the 1st slaves sold in the colonies were owned and sold by a free black man. I want my reparations too.

Steve (@guest_1103816)
Reply to  rocky

Sounds like a good way to get people to stop paying taxes. The only ones who want reparations are those who don’t want to work and have probably have been collecting welfare for a long time. That’s sort of reparations, right? All of the self respecting blacks I’ve ever known would never consider this. They’d consider it an insult!

Isabel (@guest_1103884)
Reply to  rocky

Now, didn’t I think of that?

Joe Henry (@guest_1103659)

Are we also have to pay Africa too for selling their blacks to USA.

Debra (@guest_1103767)
Reply to  Joe Henry

exactly what I was wanting to post. it was THEIR BLACK relatives that sold them so go to Africa, look up that lineage and START there.

Elizabeth (@guest_1103815)
Reply to  Debra

I agree! Giving them money will only open a Pandora’s box so big we’ll ever find the bottom! They already receive more than any of the rest of us and continually have their hands out for more! Put them to work and they can earn their living just like the rest of us!!!

Victor S Lawson (@guest_1103789)
Reply to  Joe Henry

Excellent point. Too much common sense for communist democraps to comprehend.

robert eugene williams (@guest_1103661)

All i have to say is that we did not have a BLACK President for 2 terms, We had a MUSLIM who ruined our country and is doing the same by guiding BIDEN. God help us all.

Judy ClounchMiyakawa (@guest_1103663)

Kamala Harris is Jamaican, white and East Indian, not black, she is also descended from slave owners. I believe that under her tenure as AG in California she put more African American in prison for marijuana infractions.

LEE ANN PETTEY (@guest_1103664)

THERE HAS BEEN SOME FORM OF SLAVERY ALMOST SINCE THE WORLD BEGAN. HOW FAR ARE WE GOING BACK?
THIS WHOLE THING IS TOTAL NONSENSE AND CRAZINESS.

Jennifer (@guest_1103684)
Reply to  LEE ANN PETTEY

Right. Because if they’re going to play this game , white people were slaves once upon a time. But I know. I know. I am a complete racist for saying that. Because we were all born with spoons in our mouth. Fuc& biden and his lying whore. This “bill” Is one of the most disgusting things I’ve heard.

Tina (@guest_1103725)
Reply to  LEE ANN PETTEY

Right I agree I wasn’t born when slavery was around so why would I have to pay! Oh yeah can I get paid for white slavery for I have to work for peanuts to get by!so here’s my solution every person in office cut your pay and pay them cause you all tax us enough!

Beverly Cawthon (@guest_1103665)

If biden & the demos want to divide this country even more I guess they’ll ram this through, too. There haven’t been slaves in this country for how many years? Don’t the demos waste enough money?

Mork Jungle (@guest_1103666)

That’s a damn good idea!!!! Take the money but you have to leave.

rm (@guest_1103703)
Reply to  Mork Jungle

e-nuf-z-nuf wrote…..
“Obama is my shepherd, I shall not work,”
“He maketh me to lie down and watch Oprah;”
“He leadeth me beside the still factories (the EPA closed)”.
“He restoreth my bling;”
“He leadeth me in the paths of idleness for Barack’s name sake.”
“Yea though I walk through the valley of the sharing of the wealth,”
“I will fear no workfare; For thou art funding me,”
“Thy Gat and thy blade, they comfort me.”
“Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of those who actually produce;”
“Thou anointest my teeth with gold; my pipe runneth over.”
“Surely rebates and earned income credits shall follow me all the days of my life,”
“And I will dwell in the house of Obama forever.”

Can’t say it any better….

Karole Conaway Karole (@guest_1103718)
Reply to  rm

you did a fantastic job of showing just some of the damage that obama(ss) did. And now he will be doing it again.

Jimi (@guest_1103774)
Reply to  rm

That was great!!!

Debra (@guest_1103777)
Reply to  rm

nailed it!!!

Sharon (@guest_1103813)
Reply to  rm

Sounds good to me.

DONNA MARIE KELLEY (@guest_1103667)

Biden is sick in the head why should we pay blacks any money. why can’t they work for it like we have to. we work so biden can give it away to the blacks. biden needs to be put away in a loony bend

Karole Conaway Karole (@guest_1103705)
Reply to  DONNA MARIE KELLEY

Most of the African American citizens do not want it. They love America and hate what the demonrats are doing and voted for President Trump. It is Antifa that wants your money.

Randall (@guest_1103799)
Reply to  Karole Conaway Karole

I don’t believe that for a second.

Isabel (@guest_1103886)
Reply to  DONNA MARIE KELLEY

If they are unhappy, they ought to leave and go to their beloved homeland. They have created enough hell in America.

Norma Moore (@guest_1103668)

We owe them nothing that happened many many years ago and it had nothing to do with us. So to pay people just because that their ancestors were slaves we fought to get rid of slavery the Democrats are the ones that wanted to keep it going. So no I do not agree with us paying money to them just because they had family that was in slavery over 150 years ago.

P Cate (@guest_1103685)
Reply to  Norma Moore

Affirmative Action = reparations

Randall (@guest_1103801)
Reply to  Norma Moore

It’s all for future votes.

William Collard (@guest_1103670)

How about we give every American citizen $100,000 dollars for their hard work and sacrifice to protect our country. How about we throw in an extra $50,000 dollars for every citizen that had to put up with the corrupt politicians. Another $50,000 dollars for the politicians not following the constitution and placing Joe Biden and others in prison. Give me more time and I am sure we honest Americans can come up with more dollars we should get for our suffering.

Jenny (@guest_1103699)
Reply to  William Collard

Also money to every family that lost a soldier in a war to protect this country and our FREEDOM. Going back to the Civil War

Jean (@guest_1103750)
Reply to  Jenny

RIGHT. My great-great grandfather fought in the Civil War in a regiment from NY and was wounded besides. I think THEY owe ME!

Genec (@guest_1103671)

I believe the Democrat party should pay for the Blacks, for the slavery, The Republicans wanted to abolish it. That is why the civil war happened. The Democrats were the majority slave owners not the Republicans. They should be the ones responsible for any reparations, to the black people today, most blacks today don’t deserve any of it. If the Black people would have done the right and Christian things these problems wouldn’t exist today. You have to remember most of them were not educated and the Democrats took them for a ride. The Democrats did that with the KKK. These same Democrats are now selling our country down the drain to China.

Diane Ostrander (@guest_1103721)
Reply to  Genec

Reparations for my Christian white German ancestors that are buried in Gettysburg died fighting for the end of slavery. That makes more sense.

Debra (@guest_1103781)
Reply to  Genec

yeap. totally hysterical how they forget it was the DEMOCRATS that did that. easier to blame white man

Shay (@guest_1103672)

More of Bidens idiotic ideas to bring ” unity” . He and Kamala are doing nothing but dishing out division. Race relations will deteriorate exponentially into intolerance and resentment. This country does not need any more “hurt” …it needs temperance.

Ted R (@guest_1103676)

6.2 Quadrillion USD would represent a burden of appx $235K per non-black person in what’s left of America. I don’t have it, nor does my wife. Only answer is civil war.

Mark (@guest_1103810)
Reply to  Ted R

And the Native Americans take it up the poop shoot again

DMC (@guest_1103677)

I refuse to listen to anything Sheila has to say until she drops her 2 triggering names – Jackson & Lee are racist names – hasn’t she learned anything from the experts w/BLM?

treasure smith (@guest_1103679)

WELFARE FROM TAX MONEY PAID BY WORKING CITIZENS HAS BEEN PAYING FOR YEARS. THE BIBLE SAYS IF YOU DO NOT WORK YOU SHOULD NOT EAT. WE ALL NEED TO BE VERY GRATEFUL FOR THE FREEDOMS WE HAVE ENJOYED IN AMERICA AND WILLINGLY WORK AS OUR HEAVENLY FATHER INSTRUCTS US. ETERNITY AWAITS US ALL AND THE LENGTH OF ETERNITY SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION. JOHN 14 6.

Karole Conaway Karole (@guest_1103680)

Who is alive today who owned slaves? My Irish ancestors were slaves when they came to this country. I do not expect or want any taxpayer dollars for that.

sturgis (@guest_1103681)

F them, we gave them affirmative action and they screwed that up! I owe black people NOTHING! I never owned a slave!! We’re gonna give them money!? They want everything for free and more! Hey, if we offered them a job, they would refuse, they would rather deal drugs and prostitution!

Edward Mcclung (@guest_1103686)

All of their ancestors are rolling in their graves because they have the same opportunities as every American citizen does. But they want a hand out. They should be ashamed when their ancestors had it much harder and they just wanted the opportunity to make it on their own merits and not riding on the merits of someone else’s.

Brenda (@guest_1103688)

I was a slave growing up, doing dishes, cleaning house, laundry etc. can I get reparation money?

Richard (@guest_1103707)
Reply to  Brenda

No, I DID THAT TOO,THAT DONT COUNT.

Debbie (@guest_1103701)

I never owned a slave and you never were one. Got that one settled

Thomas Farricker (@guest_1103710)

AS SOON AS THE IRISH AND CHINESE AND AMERICAN INDIAN GET THEIR REPARATIONS I WILL BE ON BOARD

Judy G (@guest_1103712)

Many whites were indentured too, and many were sold along with the blacks. We don’t ever hear anything about them though.

C.A. (@guest_1103713)

Reparations…Cool! Hey Everyone…. Like the Democrats always tell us it’s acceptable to Self- Identify so Just Self-Identify as Black and we’ll all get $$$$$

Gregg Smjgb (@guest_1103716)

That was pretty much the Liberals beliefs and ideals all along and Biden/Harris ran and won the election on that premise. A non corrupt election is called now by states and senators so that is the intent of this administration.

Patricia Spencer (@guest_1103723)

Ok, go for it. Now, you must include all the whites who were brought over as indentured servants and kept on as slaves. Check your history – the first slave owner in the colonies was a BLACK MAN, – see the attached reference for this. https://stillnessinthestorm.com/2020/06/history-the-first-legal-slave-owner-in-america-was-a-black-man/. if you want to go back farther, and I think we should to the original people who sold the slaves to the slave traders, we need to go back to Africa and the tribal battles there – where to the victor went the spoils a/k/a slaves that were sold to the slave traders.

Pollty (@guest_1103731)

To win he must buy votes

Donald (@guest_1103735)

American no longer have a say in our nwo. We have been sold out by many in both parties. Our hope lies is Donald J, Trump ad true conservatives who supported him. Some of whom may be in congress now.

Russ (@guest_1103737)

I will not pay.

ajk (@guest_1103740)

Where were ‘ALL OF YOU” on ELECTION DAY??? Oh yes…The “Fraudulent Election Day?!! We are going to be “ruled” by FRAUDS!! THIS ELECTION WAS A “THEFT” and it is a SHAME that everyone “ganged up” on the BEST President of our time! He was NOT “MR. PERSONALITY” (You did not have be his buddy)…but, a Worker, he was and he implemented his promises….All of the Republicans who have “swung” the “other way” ….wipe a tear…it is “your funds” ($$$) our Mr. “Nice Guy” will be wearing away! God Bless America

Larry Gaines (@guest_1103741)

Biden is stupid

Larry Gaines (@guest_1103744)

There is no way to prove who ancestor was a slave and you can’t base tis stupid idea by color

JC (@guest_1103745)

When none of the imaginary voters that cast Dem votes don’t appear the Dems are toast.

Margaret Robertson (@guest_1103760)

Every black person in this country should be forced to read BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE. Then they would KNOW who should get reparations. The American Indian.

Matt (@guest_1103763)

Totally against it! We don’t owe no reperations to anyone. It’s all a part of the history of this country. No one is living from that generation. There’s less racist behavior today than there has ever been. Everyone has the same oppurtunities as anyone. Just got to work for it. Just a buch of B… S..T and people with their hands out.

Gerald S Ladd (@guest_1103769)

DemonRATS love to piss away other people’s money. If the idiot want to appease the blacks he insulted, lt him do it out of his pocket, not ours.

JoAnn Graham (@guest_1103780)

None of my family arrived here until AFTER the Civil War, so I don’t owe anybody ANY “reparations.” However, I’m Irish, and we were slaves at one time. Where’s MY check?

Kevin Beach (@guest_1103790)

Ok people first of all let’s get it straight it is no presadent elect it is legitimate president Biden and secondly the VP is not black she is indian .I would like to know we’re all this money is coming from and after they just gave themselves a 47,000.00 dollar raise and gave the people a wapping 600 dollar stimulus check wow I am confused I though they worked for the people I didn’t ok a raise I guess thatust be the new way just tell your boss how much you want there going to kill this country

Isabel (@guest_1103895)
Reply to  Kevin Beach

It is hard to decipher what you are trying to say. Did you say Biden is a legitimate president? That piece of trash is just as legitimate as that other piece of trash, the evil Ossama.

Speaking of Ossama, why isn’t his ugly wife wearing her real hair just like on that picture taken recently in Hawaii? Isn’t she proud of her blackness? Why is she covering that mop with expensive wigs? Nothing can make that horrible monster look human.

Patrick Garland (@guest_1103791)

They want retribution or having slaves Muhammad they pay us back or the years of welfare food stamp section 8 housing medical Care which they did not pay for then let’s go to the Irish the Chinese the Japanese Scotland Australi and pay them back or ancestors that were slaves and also includes numerous blacks that had slaves I had an ancestors that were Irish and Scottish so I don’t expect to get paid for it I’m neither should you

neil schroeder (@guest_1103800)

I think that any American who owns a slave today should be made to pay reparations to all slaves alive at the end of the civil war.

ROBERT MONAHAN (@guest_1103803)

I DON”T WANT YOU TO GET DOWN ON THE BLACK POPULATION JUST BECAUSE A BUNCH OF POWER HUNGARY
STOLE YOUR COUNTRY. REMEMBER IF YOU WILL BLACK MEN FOUGHT AND DIED IN THAT CIVIL WAR. THEY
DIDN”T SIT AND WATCH THEY FOUGHT FOR FREEDOM AND THEY WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF ANTIFA OR CHINA OR
ANY DOMESTIC TERRORIST TRY TO ALTER ONE WORD IN THE CONSTITUTION OR ATTACK THE BILL OF RIGHTS.
THE FIRST AND SECOND AMMENDMENTS ARE UNDER ATTACK BY OUR NEW ADMINISTRATION EVERY CITIZEN
NEEDS TO KEEP A WATCH TO SEE THAT OUR GOVERNMENT DOES NOT LOSE OF SIGHT THAT THEY DON”T OWN
USE THEY WORK FOR US WE PAY THEIR SALARY AND SOME OF THEM HAVE BEEN SLOPPING IN THE PUBLIC
TROUGH WAY TOO LONG. TO KEEP AMERICA GREAT IT WILL TAKE BLACK<WHITE HISPANIC< ORIENTAL & GOD

Deplorable Lanie (@guest_1103863)
Reply to  ROBERT MONAHAN

But until the Democrats figure that out they will continue to DIVIDE instead of unify!

Isabel (@guest_1103897)
Reply to  ROBERT MONAHAN

Excuse me, on the last sentence you mention God. Is that guy (God) asleep? Why is that clown allowing the world to be so evil?

Anyone who believes there is such thing, ought to take a long walk off a short pier.

1 2 3