July 4, 2022

Legal scholars advocate for dismissal of impeachment after Trump leaves office

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) pushed the vote on the second impeachment of Donald Trump through with lightning speed last week, but immediately hit the brakes on pursuing it further — and now legal scholars say it could be too late.

Constitutional law scholar Alan Dershowitz indicated that the impeachment should be dismissed by the Senate during a recent episode of his radio show because after President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, “the Senate simply has no authority to try him because you can’t remove him,” adding that “you can’t remove somebody who is no longer president.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) announced last week that the Senate would not be able to take on the article of impeachment before President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, but Pelosi showed no signs of attempting to send the article to the upper chamber prior to the inauguration anyway.

Perhaps the Speaker learned a thing or two from the first impeachment, that is: Democrats can claim Trump was impeached because of the House vote, but dealing with the hassle of actually convicting the President in the Senate isn’t worth the bad PR.

Dershowitz also addressed claims that impeachment must be pursued to prevent Trump from holding office again in the future:

The idea of now going to a Senate trial in order to disqualify him — a trial that’s probably unconstitutional, a trial that’s probably illegal and a trial that may well be struck down by the courts — is a foolish waste of American taxpayers’ money, of priorities, and I think, is not good for the Biden administration.

Legal scholar Jonathan Turley agrees with Dershowitz that impeachment should not proceed to the Senate. Turley wrote in USA today of the prospect:

This impeachment should end with the Trump administration. I do not fault those who view the president’s conduct as impeachable. The speech was reckless and wrong. My primary objection was to the use of a snap impeachment and the language of the article of impeachment. That is now part of Trump’s presidential legacy. The question is now what will be the troubling constitutional legacy left by the Senate in the trial of an ex-president.

Turley warned that the frivolous application of impeachment as a way of achieving political retribution would “fundamentally alter” the role that impeachment powers play in the American form of governance.

“A retroactive removal vote would combine with the use of a snap impeachment to fundamentally [alter] the role of impeachment in the United States,” Turley explained. “It would take a rush to judgment and turn it into a parade of constitutional horribles. Any party could retroactively impeach or remove a former president for the purpose of disqualifying him from office. Thus, if a party feared a one-term president’s possible run, they could hold use impeachment to eliminate the political threat.”

Of course, legal scholars are not in complete agreement over the matter. Longtime Harvard Law School professor Laurence Tribe is in favor of pushing impeachment all the way through the Senate, arguing that Trump’s departure from office does not disqualify him from conviction:

To be sure, a former officer may no longer be ‘removed’ even upon conviction by a two-thirds vote. But that has no bearing on whether such an ex-officer may be barred permanently from office upon being convicted. That separate judgment would require no more than a simple majority vote.

keith (@guest_1107141)

pigloshi is the one who should flee while she can we all know whom are the traitors in this country

DD (@guest_1107191)
Reply to  keith

With BIDEN and the DEMWITT for the next 4 years, when Trump returns in 2024 he will have a HUGE MESS on his hands if there is NOT ANOTHER REVOLUTION “before” THEN. I am BANKING on another REVOLUTION before CRAZY OL BIDEN takes over as KING of the USA!

Martha King (@guest_1107142)

Biden is NOT president-elect he is “president” fraud.

DENNIS (@guest_1107160)
Reply to  Martha King

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!
4 YEARS OF FRAUD COMING FROM THE D.C.SWAMP!

Judith DeSimone (@guest_1107166)
Reply to  DENNIS

He won’t be the faux president for long….comeola is ready just like they planed. Boy is AMERICA in trouble.

Kathy (@guest_1107270)
Reply to  Martha King

I’ll never refer to Biden as “President” or “Sir” or “Mister”. There are several things I know to call him.

Jamesde (@guest_1107384)
Reply to  Martha King

Biden not my president EVER.

Shirley (@guest_1107146)

These people are not reading or listening to the same speech I did. He said nothing wrong. He was actually telling his supporters to be peaceful. It was the Dems who had their scum infiltrate the Trump supporters and start trouble.

DENNIS (@guest_1107167)
Reply to  Shirley

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT TOO! MY OPINION IS:
TRASH FROM THE DC SWAMP AND A COUPLE BILLIONAIRES PAID FOR THEM TO DO THE DAMAGE AND KILLING!
AND KNOWING WHAT HAPPENED, NANCY AGAIN FALSELY ACCUSES OUR PRESIDENT DONALD J TRUMP, OF BEING THE PROBLEM! TREASON IS WHAT I CALL HER ACTIONS!

Barbara Garrett (@guest_1107207)
Reply to  DENNIS

I agree.

Sandra Lambert (@guest_1107276)
Reply to  DENNIS

JULIA DIEMERT (@guest_1107291)
Reply to  DENNIS

I ALSO AGREE.

ELSIE JANE CLAPP (@guest_1107350)
Reply to  DENNIS

The word HATE towards one person is very noticeable for the past four years. That person did everything to ruin this person and his family. This is not the type of people we should have in our top Government Offices. I noticed the changes in Our Country shortly after President Kennedy was killed and instead of regrouping, it started on a downward trend. Here is hoping we all start working together like it was doing the 40’s and 50’s. May God bless The United States.

ben (@guest_1107426)
Reply to  ELSIE JANE CLAPP

During the 1940s and 1950s we had the KKK and the WASPS. Today we have the BLM, who has cause most of the problems. The whole mess started when LBJ had JFK bumped off so he could put the SS funds into the General Fund in order to promote, “The Great Society” and war on poverty. Obummer made matters worst with the riots at Ferguson, when he went to cheer the looters and burners.

ICE (@guest_1107627)
Reply to  DENNIS

It was ANTIFA and BLM thugs bussed in dressed as Trump supporters paid by DEMOCRATS to enter the Capitol Illegally cause destruction and death just to paint a BLACK MARK on the BEST POTUS THIS COUNTRY HAS HAD SINCE KENNEDY.!

Percy (@guest_1107219)
Reply to  Shirley

You are absolutely correct, It was the Dems who had their scum infiltrate the Trump supporters and start trouble.

Debi (@guest_1107225)
Reply to  Shirley

I listened, too, and he encouraged to take a nice walk down Pennsylvania – even said how much he enjoyed PA ave. Neither his words or manner in any way incited violence. Antifa did it!

Claxson 68 (@guest_1107256)
Reply to  Shirley

If Trump had said nothing before the protests the Dems would have tried to impeach him for saying nothing! The Dems want to make him look impeachable no matter what he does!

Anne Hosack (@guest_1107148)

The incursion of the Congress began before the President was even done talking to the crowd. This didn’t have anything to do with President Trump. It was all an evil agenda by Naazi Pelosi & the usual suspects. The demonRats are something to behold…..I miss President Trump already.

Biden is nobody’s president

robert (@guest_1107238)
Reply to  Anne Hosack

Glad to see you point out the timing of the speech and the Capital issue/infiltration. Anyone with half a brain can see this was planned ahead of time to discredit President Trump

Dale -- Walton (@guest_1107149)

Nancy Pelosi is an Angry Devil woman & God will get revenge ,vengeance is mine says th the lord.

Phyllis clemins (@guest_1107196)
Reply to  Dale -- Walton

Amen!!!!

Claxson 68 (@guest_1107266)
Reply to  Dale -- Walton

I hope God hurries up & gets his revenge, vengeance soon! The country can’t take much more of the Wicked Witch of the West!

Kathleen C Todora (@guest_1107330)
Reply to  Dale -- Walton

Ruth Waymire (@guest_1107150)

DO NOT IMPEACH PRES TRUMP, HE HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG!!!! PELOSI NEEDS TO LOOK IN A MIRROR AND SEE WHAT A IDIOT SHE IS AND SHE SHOULD BE IMPEACHED IMMEDIATELY !

Ci (@guest_1107153)

I think this is absurd this is the best president we ever had he’s all about American people first. And I hope people wake up when they see what the Democrats are going to do for the next two years I want to thank those idiot now that voted these democrats in office this year as they know nothing about politics. They need to impeach every crooked democrat and the republicans need to stick together. The ten republicans that voted with the democrats will hopefully be held responsible by being voted out of office. The rest of the republicans need to start standing strong.

Lottie M Lincoln (@guest_1107177)
Reply to  Ci

The voting was Rigged there is even a tape of a Trader confessing that she Illegally stuffed A bunch A bunch of names into the box Biden only had a Handful of people And Trump had the rest they it was a wast of time to vote they never even counted them!😠

DENNIS (@guest_1107179)
Reply to  Ci

DON’T FORGET TO THANK THE PEOPLE WHO ENABLED AND CARRIED OUT THE FRAUD THAT TURNED THE ELECTION FOR BIDEN! HE TOLD US HE ALREADY HAD THE ELECTION WON IS WHY HE DIDN’T HAVE TO GO CAMPAIGN! HE HAD INSIDER INFORMATION. MY OPINION OF COURSE!

Connie S Eggen (@guest_1107214)
Reply to  DENNIS

I, personally, will NEVER thank BIDEN for a single thing! He is a crook!

Debi (@guest_1107233)
Reply to  Ci

The left and some on the right hate Trump. He is everything they are not…smart, intuitive, a thinker and doer, honest, says what he means and means what he says, LOVES smart people around him, he’s strong, direct, etc…gee which foreign leaders *truly* hate him??

Oh well – I love Trump! he is THE BEST INDIVIDUAL AS PREZ FOR USA’s continued progress. What he’s accomplished will go down the toilet with Mutt and Jeff in the WH.

Kathleen C Todora (@guest_1107333)
Reply to  Ci

Good always overcomes evil, no matter how long it takes or which side it is on…..I just printed out the Trump administration accomplishments, 49 double spaced pages of facts. It is a very impressive document, that everyone should find and take the time to read.

Sharon Burch (@guest_1107156)

The democrats are so afraid of President Trump running again and winning. Course, the rigged machines would have to go. But we now have an illegitimate person in the WH.

Percy (@guest_1107221)
Reply to  Sharon Burch

agree

Blanche (@guest_1107161)

Nasty Nancy should be reined in and made to realize she is NOT the head of America, she has expired her use as working in the government, and now only goes forward with hate for America and its people, while still taking money from our enemies. Prime example why we needs to get Term Limits!

Sissy B (@guest_1107169)
Reply to  Blanche

Amen, sister!!!

Russ (@guest_1107164)

I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. (So help me God).” I would suggest you the commie democrats read this carefully as you do have some 25 thousand troops in Washington right now.

Thomas Carter (@guest_1107183)
Reply to  Russ

My first oath: I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. (So help me God).”

My second oath: I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.”

I would suggest everyone read US Code 18-1026. DemocRATS violated it but they do not care.

Carl Mac (@guest_1107211)
Reply to  Thomas Carter

I will do my part to show that I support president Trump and am against this sham which will start Wednesday, from now on if anyone has an American flag hang it upside down showing America is in trouble any mail you have send with an American flag post that stamp with the flag upside down. This way if spread by enough patriots will send a strong signal that Americans are NOT HAPPY with the election, PRESIDENT TRUMP WON THE ELECTION, I,M A NEVER bIDEN.

Lu (@guest_1107235)
Reply to  Carl Mac

That is a great idea!!!!! Lets just be patients for a few days and watch the dance begin………..Wait until the hodurenos get to the border and the infection rates will become catastrophic for Mexico and San Diego.Let’s see what the dimwitted will do. Catastrophic illness and no work in California. !!!!!!!!

Sharon Burch (@guest_1107284)
Reply to  Carl Mac

I hear you loud and clear, will do.

Tommie Walker (@guest_1107328)
Reply to  Thomas Carter

I AGREE 100%…… I TOOK THE SAME OATH……

James (@guest_1107733)
Reply to  Thomas Carter

I took the first oath many years ago and I have never been relieved of that oath!!! I will defend the USA as long as I have breath in my body!!! Notice it said against all enemies foreign and domestic China and any other foreign country as well as Nancy Pelosi Chuck Schumer and all other domestic enemies of the USA including Biden and Harris!!

Cherry (@guest_1107200)
Reply to  Russ

Plus their are retired Military that takes that oath still to this day. We love our country, God Bless America.

Sissy B (@guest_1107168)

The leftists in this country have lost their ever-loving minds. They are welcome to their opinions, but they are NOT welcome to going against the wishes of half the country. The truth about this stolen election will come out soon. People like Nancy Pelosi who hate our president will be shamed and prosecuted for their own evil, self-serving deeds. I cannot believe she has the gall to use her office to vilify our President when he is doing so much to make the lives of American citizens and people around the world better.

CJM (@guest_1107180)
Reply to  Sissy B

I do sincerely hope this happens. Unfortunately, the evil in our government will not allow Justice to prevail.

Cherry (@guest_1107201)
Reply to  CJM

We can vote that evil out of the people house.

Sharon Burch (@guest_1107293)
Reply to  Sissy B

No Sissy, the democrats know what their doing. Power and control is all they want. Our religious rights are gone and now our freedom speech is gone, next our gun rights. Democrats want to pound all conservatives in to the ground, reprogram us all, that isn’t going to happen.

BOB Barr (@guest_1107172)

Pelosi is not pushing a follow-up because she knows she will be dead of old-age at the end of the retards term.

CJM (@guest_1107185)
Reply to  BOB Barr

Bob: I seriously doubt your wish will come true. Pickled herrings last a long time because of their constant soaking from the brine….and pigloosi is no different from the herring.

Ted R (@guest_1107187)
Reply to  BOB Barr

Only the good die young…she’ll live forever.

Cherry (@guest_1107208)
Reply to  Ted R

She sold her sole to the devil, along time ago. I hope and pray 🙏, that she gets what’s coming to her. She has not been a American for along time. She part of the deep state.

talltexan (@guest_1107174)

Omg…yessss……can you believe. Don’t ya know Pelots’ki is pissed about this. Mud all over her face now. I have been telle’n ya for a long time……the intelligence is just not there folks. The Democrats are so filled with hate which hinders just a normal person from much of any common sense thinking, much less they’re being able to government properly under those mental conditions. Now with the voting steal…..it will be nothing now but vengeance. They will spend all their production time for The Peoples business buried in the vengeance they still feel towards Trump. It seems they are nothing but about winning at any cost…..not even going so far as to be governing properly.

Thomas Carter (@guest_1107176)

Lets impeach Obama
Lets impeach Biden
Lets impeach every democRAT

Lu (@guest_1107236)
Reply to  Thomas Carter

Lets impeach Obama!!!!!!!Remember Bengazi!!!!!!

Duane (@guest_1107186)

Wonder how long it will take to do a genuine and very valid impeachment on Joe and Disqualify Kamala from office?

Janice E. Prescott (@guest_1107188)

Fraudin and his whole family are crooks that profited off of the Chinese, and we the American people. I pray one day they all pay for their crimes.

Randy Justice (@guest_1107192)

DEMENTED JOE AND KUMSWALLOW ARE THE TRUE CRIMINALS HERE AND EVENTUALLY THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT, AND THAT’S A FACT !!!

Gary m (@guest_1107195)

The snipers are going after the wrong target. They should be going after the big tech ceos and the [email protected] media ceos, and news media ceos. Get rid of them and you will have crippled the democrats, and the Biden SS ( BLM, Antifuka ). The media and the news outlets [email protected] the information to each other,and the tr00ps in the field. So if you take them out you get their main communication link.

Lu (@guest_1107237)
Reply to  Gary m

Great idea!!!!

Donald shaw (@guest_1107198)

Biden will always be referred to as ‘The illegitimate President’.

Pelosi will always be known as the ‘Evil old witch corrupt Speaker’.

From here on and forever more in history!

Patricia Perdue (@guest_1107202)

What can we do now? Get involved/volunteer with the Republican Party to educate yourself, get elected to the School Board to help protect our youth from propaganda and brainwashing, write snail mail letters to your Congressmen and Senators and make your voices heard (they will not accept email from someone outside their representative area last I tried), take a position in your precinct and become an electoral voter, volunteer at the voter booths. We are in this untenable position because we dropped the ball and let anybody else do the work and the commies picked it right up. Do not think you have no power because you do but it requires getting involved, educating yourself and being an activist. Remember: Freedom is not free, it must be earned again and again.

David (@guest_1107218)

We all heard the speech – nothing wrong at all!

The the whole thing is the same B/S “reality construct” the CCP has been selling for the last four years. Trump has exposed our government for what it is – a festering bed of
corruption and criminals !!!!

Debi (@guest_1107222)

Lol!!! I’ll bet Nancy nearly fell out of her shoes!

Ralph Perangelo (@guest_1107223)

Biden the illegitimate president

Tom (USN RET) (@guest_1107224)

So I would imagine that if the Senate wants to unconstitutionally have a court hearing on President Trump after he leaves office, this should be an opportunity for President Trump for his legal team present the evidence of voter fraud to not only the Senate but also the American people since an impeachment trial will be televised as it should unless the media and tech companies suppress the coverage. Also if this is allowed when the docs are released and Obama is found to have abused his power to spy on Trump’s campaign he can be brought on in impeachment charges… along with Biden. That is how I see it. BRING IT ON

Eugene (@guest_1107229)

pelosi, the most corrupt and vindictive speaker ever, should be impeached for the high crime of wasting millions in Government funds (taxpayer money) in the two sham impeachments she initiated. Also biden will always be considered an illegitimate president by most of Our Country and the world unless a forensic investigation into all the irregularities and alleged fraud of the Nov election proves he won. My belief is if such an investigation were performed there would be more than 10 million illegal/fraudulent votes for biden/harris identified and President Trump’s reelection confirmed.

ajk (@guest_1107230)

Pres. Trump was the best President we have ever had…He really “worked” for America…but the Media, Pelosi & her crew etc. could NOT STAND it…It is a “shame” that “THEY” will be the ones with the “thirty pieces of silver” turn over America to the Enemies!! Dear God, PLEASE Bless America!

G. Sgt. Bennett, USMC (@guest_1107254)

DD, agreed a full revolution & at the same time remove permanently many Swamp members.

Mike Barry (@guest_1107308)

I do not agree that the speech was “reckless and wrong”.
What I do recognize is the the demoRats infiltrated the mob and deliberately focused on destruction in order to blame the Trump partisans…
Isn’t this the same old stuff in a different package ???

Eugene (@guest_1107318)

I’d say piss on pelosi but she would might like it

raymond lombardi (@guest_1107332)

Nancy peloci needs to be forced to either give up her job as speaker of the house, or go to jail!

Patriot (@guest_1107335)

Nothing President Trump said in his speech incited any insurection, but Kamal-toe Harris and Maxipad Waters made comments that encouraged rioting and looting during the summer. Impeach Harris and throw Waters out of office for inciting criminal activity.

Gary m (@guest_1107576)

Now is, the time to escape the CNN prison, and get to OANN on ATT 208 or NewsMAX on ATT 220 and safety and freedom and fresh air. Must act quickly before it is to late, and you are brainwashed into believing their nonsense and the constant lies that they spew all day long. It must take a lot of stamina to be able to lie like that, and the endurance to be able to keep coming up with all of this crap all day long. “incredible”. and it is really unbelievably stupid. Run to OANN on ATT 208 or NewsMAX on ATT 220 right a way to save your freedom of speech and thought and beliefs and get some fresh air and honest reporting. It is essential that you do so right now, save your sanity.

Gary m (@guest_1107621)

The snipers are going after the wrong target. They should be going after the big tech ceos and the [email protected] media ceos.Get rid of them and you will have crippled the democrats, and the Biden SS ( BLM, Antifuka ). The media and the news outlets [email protected] the information to each other, and the tr00ps in the field. So if you take them out you get their main communication link.

Gary m (@guest_1107624)

Communism=Democrat=Nazi=Rhino=BLM=Antifuka
Democrat=A little critter that lives in a rathole
Communism=Russia+China
Nazi=another name for a communist
Rhino=A big critter that runs around with a horn up its a$$
BLM=Burn, Loot, Murder little kids squad
Antifuka=Anti Fukin American
This is Amazon new business model, just like the snakes that inhabit that creek.

Tx_Medic (@guest_1107630)

She should be hung or face a firing squad for treason.

Billy Wilson (@guest_1107633)

Poor Pelosi she got turned down. Maybe she can get over her mad at Trump she has hated him since he told her no you can not control me. Poor poor baby Pelosi. Get over it. Will you remember now

Gary m (@guest_1107649)

Texas need to institute its own immigration policy, just as California’s Newson does. Besides with all these states making their own elect laws, I think we should make our own immigration laws. The Supreme Court isn’t going to do any thing any, cause it doesn’t have any standing.

Gary m (@guest_1107674)

When, will Trump be making a trump impeachment coin. I know that you think I am being funny, but it would be a great heirloom, and would really piss Pelosi off, and he could make a mint. At the same time it would rub it in her face, that she tried three times an failed three time, The fact that she did it only amplifies her poor decision making, and her tantrums only put it on display.

Gary m (@guest_1107679)

The thief-in-chief will be swearing out loud in 2 days. He is so scared, like a communist leader that he tanks to protect him from his own SS troops. the Biden SS ( MLB, Antifuka ).

Cindilu Vohsen (@guest_1107762)

Shame that she didn’t care enough to speed a stimulus check thru as quick as an impeachment. Tsk…Tsk…Tsk!!!