A judge ruled on Friday to dismiss attorney Michael Avenatti’s $250 million lawsuit against Fox News, ruling the network accurately reported the charges made against him.
“And Avenatti does not plausibly plead that Fox or its employees knew that the statements were false or recklessly disregarded that possibility,” U.S. Circuit Judge Stephanos Bibas said in the ruling.
“He also fails to allege any recoverable damages.”
Avenatti had argued Fox News reported he had been charged with domestic violence in 2018. He was arrested for the crime, but not charged with it.
“We are pleased with the Court’s swift decision in favor of FOX News,” Fox said in a statement, according to the Blaze.
“Today’s ruling is a victory for journalists everywhere, who should not be intimidated into silence when bullies like Michael Avenatti file baseless multimillion-dollar lawsuits,” it added.
Avenatti was sentenced to 30 months in prison in July for extortion charges. The crime involved claims related to his work for shoemaker Nike. He has also been known for his work on behalf of Stormy Daniels, who claimed to have a sexual relationship with former President Donald Trump prior to his time in the White House.
Avenatti’s ruling comes as a welcome relief to Fox, but is not their only battle. The network has faced multiple legal actions in the past year, including a lawsuit from Smartmatic.