Nancy Pelosi’s Jan. 6 House select committee has offered Trump Department of Justice official Jeffrey Clark one final opportunity to speak before the group before bringing a contempt charge against him.
The move will delay a full House vote on the contempt charge until at least after the weekend following the decision on Wednesday.
Clark previously pleaded the Fifth Amendment, a move the committee’s members believed was at odds with cooperating with the subpoena.
“Even though Mr. Clark previously had the opportunity to make these claims on the record, the Select Committee will provide him another chance to do so. I have informed Mr. Clark’s attorney that I am willing to convene another deposition at which Mr. Clark can assert that privilege on a question-by-question basis, which is what the law requires of someone who asserts the privilege against self-incrimination,” Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson told CNN.
“We have just learned that Mr. Clark has agreed to appear again to continue his deposition,” he added.
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), a select committee member, said in an emailed statement to Axios that Clark “has direct knowledge of former President Donald Trump’s efforts to politicize the Department of Justice following the November election and prevent the peaceful transfer of power.”
In a Twitter post, Schiff added, “By refusing to appear, he’s violating the law. He will be held accountable.”
The Jan 6 committee just voted to recommend the House hold Jeffrey Clark in contempt.
Clark has direct knowledge of Trump’s efforts to utilize the DOJ to prevent a peaceful transfer of power.
By refusing to appear, he’s violating the law. He will be held accountable.
— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) December 2, 2021
Clark’s attorney noted his client is simply “asserting his rights against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.”