May 23, 2022

Fox News fires editor behind catastrophic Arizona election call

Fox News shocked fans on election night by choosing to call Arizona for now-President-elect Joe Biden long before any other network — and then refusing to rescind the premature call.

Fox’s politics editor, Chris Stirewalt, was blamed for the catastrophic event and has now reportedly been fired from the network as part of a restructuring effort ahead of the Biden administration.

Coming into election day, Fox News had never enjoyed such strong ratings and support from Republican fans.  Inappropriately calling Arizona for Biden was just the first of a number of editorial calls that began turning Fox’s Republican base against the network, culminating in a ratings plunge the network hasn’t seen in decades.

Stirewalt, who was with Fox for over a decade before his abrupt departure, made frequent appearances on Fox prior to the election but hasn’t been seen on air since November 17th.

The Washington Examiner reported:

He was let go along with nearly 20 other digital operations staff in a “restructuring” of the cable network announced in October. Other reports said that other executives in the Fox Washington bureau are also set to leave.

It was Fox’s decision to call Arizona with just 73% of the vote counted that angered the president and GOP officials who feared that would prompt Republicans who hadn’t yet voted in the state to stay home instead.

Though Joe Biden was ultimately declared the winner after a protracted battle over the Grand Canyon State, Fox News was not spared the wrath of fans who saw the call as an indication that the network was in Biden’s corner all along.

The Examiner continued:

In September, the cable giant announced the internal restructuring, and today’s layoffs are part of that, said a person familiar with the matter. The cuts in the digital team came as the demands lightened after the election.

Secrets was told that the new digital team will be “diverse” and run mostly by a woman.

Are you a current or former fan of Fox News? Scroll down to the comments section to let us know your thoughts.

Bunny Watts (@guest_1109149)

Not worth the effort Fox. Bye Bye

Mary Ann Betz (@guest_1109205)
Reply to  Bunny Watts

Agree, DONOT watch Fox at all. I watch News Max It tells the truth, something Fox quit doing. God bless President Trump. He will always be mypresident. Not someone who has to steal, bribe, lie, to get what he wants. Disgusting people

Patricia L Gram (@guest_1109223)
Reply to  Mary Ann Betz

Agree! We do not get Newsmax TV, in Greenville, NC. We can only get it on the internet. Called Suddenlink to inquire about Newsmax. The guy said we don’t have it. I know that, you idiot! Can’t you put a word in, stating that people are requesting Newsmax?

william hopkins (@guest_1109264)
Reply to  Patricia L Gram

. . . ALSO OANN is a very good conservative news outlet. . . Dan Ball is sensational. . . . It’s Newsmax and OANN for us and NEVER FAUX GNUS !

Rose Palmer (@guest_1109206)
Reply to  Bunny Watts

I am through w/ disgusting, turn coat Fox, now w/ american digest & NEWSMAX ,they really are FAIR & BALANCED something Fox quit a long time ago!!!!

william hopkins (@guest_1109269)
Reply to  Rose Palmer

. . Try OANN also, as they are very good ! . . .(One America News Network) . . Honest and dependable.

Frank (@guest_1109251)
Reply to  Bunny Watts

and Mark Levin “Life Liberty & Levin” Sunday 8 p.m. EST

Blair Law (@guest_1109304)
Reply to  Frank

I agree completely with FRANK.. Those that he mentioned, YES, I still watch them.. but the rest, who once were “fair and Balanced” seem to have wavered in that , (if not gone over to the “FAKE NEWS” corner).. Don’t they understand that such DUPLICITY ends their career and their reputations?? Rotten , wishy, washy people who don’t know right from wrong!!

Stan Turel (@guest_1109315)
Reply to  Frank

“Still will watch Tucker & Hannity. Oh Ingram & Judge Jenien too. Till – Rush is still on. He’s the best
and Mark Levin “Life Liberty & Levin” Sunday 8 p.m. EST”
Agree. Other than that, Fox is dead to me.

Robert Vaughn (@guest_1109447)
Reply to  Frank

I have cancelled them completely. Once trust is broken it is never the same. I turned to Newsmax to get the straight skinny. See how that works two can play the cancels culture game.

Sharon Lauzon-Chesher (@guest_1109512)
Reply to  Frank

I agree with you,,,these five are loyal to Trump and to the Conservative Party. It seems most of the daytime
were against Trump, and seemed happy that he had lost. Some of them seemed unable to conceal their glee. I will continue watching the ones who still support the Conservatives, especially since I cannot get OANN or Newsmax.

Kate (@guest_1109276)
Reply to  Bunny Watts

Fox is dead to me

Mary Williams (@guest_1109362)
Reply to  Bunny Watts

They’ve been going downhill for 4 years now. Becoming just as biased as the other top 3 fake news outlets. Newsmax is my choice for national news.

Betty (@guest_1109396)
Reply to  Bunny Watts

Really don’t care who you keep or who you fire. Your station has no loyalty to the republican or independent fans who have been with you from the get go. Fed up with the non- christian liberal who favored the liberal slant instead of just reporting the truth. That is all we wanted was the truth not your opinion.

Pilar Arquero (@guest_1109150)

Absolutely agree.

Sandra Lambert (@guest_1109207)
Reply to  Pilar Arquero

Me too!

Marty martha West (@guest_1109241)
Reply to  Sandra Lambert

I was once a faithful viewer but now have been stabbed in the back by your two faced news just like all the others. Thank God for Newsmax and OAN. SO LONG CUPCAKE!

Bob Yoder (@guest_1109157)

Juan Williams was an NPR fixture before NPR dumped him, rather unceremoniously. Harf was a chief among that den of liars that the State Dept. has always been, and Tarlov is an admitted “Democratic” s it ladies of “Outnumbered” cut off Kayleigh McEnany, and then Neil Cavuto cut off Newt Gingrich, both in obvious acts of political suppression, I was both shocked and outraged. Right then I began thinking manipulation from on high. Harris Faulkner, at least, apologized later; but from then on whenever Fox goes off the rails, in my house it also goes off the air.

Bob Yoder (@guest_1109169)
Reply to  Bob Yoder

I see that my letter got snipped. I meant to say that, with Williams, Harf, and Tarlov we know what we are getting. Chris Wallace is ever more but a chip off the old block, too.
However, when the ladies of “outnumbered” cut off Kayleigh McEnany and Neil Cavuto cut off Newt Gingrich, my reaction was shock, surprise, and outrage.

Shirley (@guest_1109177)
Reply to  Bob Yoder

Don’t forget Donna Brazile. Too much for me. I switched to Newsmax & enjoy the truth. The only ones I watch are F&F with Pete Hegseth & Brian Kilmeade. Otherwise I refuse to watch Fox anymore.

Mike Hayes (@guest_1109220)
Reply to  Shirley

Brazile needs to be put in prison along with williams followed by wallace.

Patricia L Gram (@guest_1109228)
Reply to  Bob Yoder

You are so right about Juan Williams, Marie Harf, and Jessica Tarlov. Couldn’t agree more.

Don (@guest_1109256)
Reply to  Patricia L Gram

I have watched Fox for several years because all the other media is totally liberal and biased. The way they treated president Trump is unforgivable. Fox was the only station that seemed to be on the right, but slowly several of your staff like Williams and Wallace etc. have become extremely liberal. I no longer watch THE 5 because of Williams, he needs to go!!

Lu (@guest_1109443)
Reply to  Don

Williams is a useless inarticulate dimwitted. one.We all know why he is there.God speed.

william hopkins (@guest_1109289)
Reply to  Bob Yoder

. . . . FAUX GNUS is off the rails all of the time. . . There are a select few left that won’t leave due to high $$$ contracts like Hannity, Tucker Carlson, and a couple others. . . They are kept on board for the following they have, but certainly do not reflect the values of Rupert’s liberal boys. . . Funny thing is, the conservatives are deserting FAUX GNUS and the liberals are not coming on board, and the FAUX GNUS NETWORK is dying right before the Murdoch’s eyes and they are in a tail spin they created and cannot stop ! . . . Way to go, liberals (and other communists) !

Lori (@guest_1109158)

I always have watched Fox for yrs. But now they have turned more left & after what they did to PRES. TRUMP I will NEVER watch Fox again . Plus the fact there are people on that show I just don’t care to listen to. Fox can change people around as much as they want, they came never come back. Newsmax & OAN are 100% better.

Sandra Lambert (@guest_1109208)
Reply to  Lori

I totally agree!

Bonnie (@guest_1109227)
Reply to  Lori

I watch Newsmax and OAN, can’t get them on my cable TV, so I downloaded the both of them to my phone.

william hopkins (@guest_1109294)
Reply to  Lori

. . . . 100% agree !

Kerry (@guest_1109161)

I was always skeptical of Fox news due to their liberal hosts like Bill O’Reilly, Sean hannity, Bret baier etc. But, you could at least glean news between the lines that they were reading. All of them are a bunch of actors. They are reading what their masters are telling them to just like all so-called news stations.
Because of what they did on election night in speaking out against President Trump I will never ever ever ever watch or listen to any fox news programs again. You you bunch dolts have squandered your opportunity to continue as America’s only so-called conservative news station. Without Roger ailes you’re nothing! Goodbye forever!!!!!

Doug (@guest_1109221)
Reply to  Kerry

Sorry, Kerry, but you are mistaken about O’Reilly and Hannity. They are not liberals by any stretch of the imagination. Baier and MacCallum and Cavuto and Wallace and other so-called conservatives are clearly Trump haters. I could probably name a few other so-called conservatives on Fox who I don’t bother to watch as well but you get the picture. Adding Donna Brazille and other liberals to their team during the election year proved that they were trying to appeal to the left as well. I don’t think it worked. Naturally, I quit watching Fox with the exception of Tucker, Hannity, Ingraham, Levin, Watters, and Jeannine Piro.

Bill (@guest_1109240)
Reply to  Doug

Steve Hilton is a true conservative too.

Marcia Dunsmore (@guest_1109162)

Watch Newsmax now!! Since Arizona was called early and some fox idiot would not backdown on his early call even when questioned by Bret !!! So sad what a bunch of
Demorats running fox.. you lose newsmax wins and we get the right news. Tucker, Hannity and Judge J r the real conservatives.. Mark Levin is awesome. God bless President Trump and America.

al Johannessen (@guest_1109164)

sorry Fox, you are more like a two faced weasel

Kerry (@guest_1109165)

Newsmax all the way.

Phini (@guest_1109166)

I have switched over to NEWSMAX. They report news in an unbiased way. Too many FOX reporters starting sounding like CNN and for that reason I switched. Not going back unless you change your ways.

Eddie Price (@guest_1109168)

Helllooooooo! anybody in there at Fox??? The Murdoch boys have ruined what was once conservative news. They drank the Dem Cool aide. Maybe Daddy M is waking up to reality!

Tom (@guest_1109172)

He has ALWAYS been a Bush Rino.

Kerry (@guest_1109174)

Sean Hannity, Bret Baier are not conservatives they are wolves in sheep’s clothing. I get that Sean Hannity was a great defender of President Trump but I’ve still heard him say things that make me wary of his true devotion. Brett Bair is even less of a conservative if he can even be included in the conservative column. I believe he is another Walter Cronkite and the like that came out later in their lives as communists.
Newsmax, news Max, newsmax, OANN, EVEN THE LESS WELL-KNOWN NEWS STATIONS LIKE THE NOBODIES ON YOUTUBE ARE MORE PROFESSIONAL THAN FOX NEWS.
NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX NEWSMAX GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY GREG KELLY.

Pat (@guest_1109297)
Reply to  Kerry

I love it I agree

william hopkins (@guest_1109306)
Reply to  Kerry

. . . I agree, but don’t cross OAN (One America News Network) off of your list, as Dan Ball is excellent, as good as Greg Kelly whom I love. . . Give them a try also, as there is room for 2 conservative networks and we need to help them both survive.

grace Kulbitskas (@guest_1109179)

Fox =============not good
Get ride of Chris Wallace
Tucker ———–Great

Newsmax has some GREAT people——-Rob Schmitt————Greg Kelly….

OAN—————doing good

Patricia L Gram (@guest_1109237)
Reply to  grace Kulbitskas

Sick of Chris Wallace!!!

FRANK ROWLES (@guest_1109180)

I was disappointed with the early call by Chris, but I am still a loyal fan of all the Fox programs.

allen (@guest_1109182)

The guy who counted votes for Fox is a democrat who had worked on Capitol Hill. He called it for Biden saying there was no chance Trump could get enough of the remaining votes to overcome Biden’s lead. He turned out to be right, but should have waited to be sure.

Janett R Sanders (@guest_1109183)

So glad Chris Stirewalt was fired!!! He was so full of himself. His predictions were WAY OFF most of the time. Too late. I don’t watch Fox News any longer

Lu (@guest_1109446)
Reply to  Janett R Sanders

Ditto!!

Joanne Martin (@guest_1109186)

I’m done with Fox. Just watch Fox & Friends now. Fox fell off the cliff many, many months ago. Sad bit true.

Michael Finnerty (@guest_1109191)

I first noticed Chris Wallace was not a conservative on his tv show,then he was the mediator at a debate with Trump and Biden and his bias come out loud and and clear. Also I could get the vibe that Fox was turning against the President. Perhaps George Soros’s attack onFox News had something to do with it. Now a Newsmax Fan!

allen (@guest_1109193)

Fox adopted the “conspiracy theory” rather that do any deep investigative reporting.

Carl Dinkel (@guest_1109200)

I will never watch Fox New again , when they made the call on Arizona For Joe I went to another and have never looked back…

Willie (@guest_1109202)

Fox needs to get rid of the turn coat Paul Ryan who sold out the Republicans in first place he gave Nancy the House he didn’t even try because he and MIT lost and he wanted to take President Donald J Trump down.

Christine b Long (@guest_1109216)

only shows i watch on fox news the five, tucker carlson, hannity, ingram, gutfeld, mark levin, judge jenne i used to watch fox 24/7 most of fox are turn coats on president trump. when you called arizona that is when i left you you do not have my values anymore

Donna (@guest_1109222)

The instant Fox call the AZ votes for Biden I changed the channel! I miss Tucker Carlson & Sean Hannity but I can’t abide betrayal I only watch Newsmax online anymore!

Freda Cheung (@guest_1109230)

Happy to know that Fox took some action to right the wrong for calling Biden’s win in Arizona.
Please always stand for what is accurate and be fair.

Doug (@guest_1109231)

I began watching Fox News after Trump was elected. Overall, I felt they were doing a good job. That began to change in 2020 when they began adding liberals to their lineup. We should remember that Rupert Murdock has turned the station over to his liberal sons and it is their thinking that has changed the station. I tuned in to Fox News for a conservative viewpoint – not a muddled, watered down viewpoint with liberals adding their sewage to the mix. I now limit my time to those who are sharing their programs after 8:00pm. Anything before that is not in my viewing list. Never will be.

Corliss (@guest_1109232)

I am sick at heart at what is happening to our country. The only thing you don’t know about the future is the history you have NOT read about the past. Evidently Fox news does NOT know how Hitler came to power.

Nancy (@guest_1109239)

OAN all the way. Bye Bye Fix. I used to have Fix on just about 24/7. Then I started to notice people like butter ball Baier was giving 92% liberal news. So I decided enough of the fat boys BS. I went to Oan and that is where I’m staying. They actually do investigated reporting. No one on Fox will get off their computer to make calls and look into matters/. Besides the Murdock wives didn’t want to own a conservative station. Like there is something wrong with conservatives. So now they can do with less money and have their liberals.

Martin (@guest_1109243)

I watched Fox News 365 days per year DOR multiple hours per day. Now I will NEVER watch Fox News again as long as it is under current ownership .

Pat (@guest_1109307)
Reply to  Martin

Agree never again hope the go broke

Janice M Arkebauer (@guest_1109249)

I watched FOX for years…NO MORE!!!

LeiLanie (@guest_1109253)

I stopped watching Fox News ever since the Arizona call. I miss Tucker, Hannity, Laura, Judge Jeannine, Levin, but will not watch Fox News. I have been watching NEWSMAX since the election was over! I will never watch FOX News again. GO NEWSMAX!

Phil (@guest_1109259)

you reap what you sow……..Fox did themselves in………NEWSMAX FOR ME…….good bye Fox

Ron Brandon (@guest_1109262)

I moved to Newsmax.

Sandra kent (@guest_1109263)

My whole family quit watching fox after election night. Newsmax and Ian from now on

David J Matthew (@guest_1109282)

Fox was the last MSM news I watched on TV. Now I will not be looking at anyone or anything! Only a couple on the internet. Most of my friends and family are already off of tv, and on to the internet!

Thomas Duhs (@guest_1109322)

Bret Baier always ends his show with the comment, “Thank you for inviting us into your home.” That has been the case for the last five years. Then I watched Martha as she came on just after Bret. So now I say goodbye to Bret as he has gone too far left with his guest lefties. Martha is still great. I can watch Lou Dobbs opposite Bret followed by Elizabeth McDonald. Those who still hold my loyalty are: Mark Levin, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Laura Inghram, Shannon Breen, Dana Perino, Jesse Waters, Maria Bartaromo, Jeanine Piro, Dan Bongino, Chris Wallace is also no longer welcome on Sunday as he has been the main man for the last five years but has decidedly gone left too much. I’ll watch Maria on Sunday’s. I know all of you will say, “We are only trying to be fair and balanced!” Well, you are not. I understand Rupert is dyeing so his “Lefty” son is taking over. Too bad for all the conservatives who want to hear the truth as FOX use to deliver. A couple of others, I am luke-warm about are Hemmer, Roberts, and Trace. I have not yet written them off. Please send this to all I have mentioned herein.

Edwina Sitko (@guest_1109326)

So faithful for many years…then the snarky Wallace did a 180..was the beginning of the end for others to turn .the only honest one I will listen to is TUCKER CARLSON..I SO ENJOY Newsmax and ALWAYS wait for the 3 hours with Rush Limbaugh.

Linda (@guest_1109331)

I’m just waiting for Hannity, Gutfelt, Jesse, and Tucker to call it quits and move to newsmax !!!!!!!

Fox is so crazy and Juan Williams , Marie Harf, Donna Brazile all need to go straight to hell for lieing continually ! They will never get respect again . And Bret Baer after his son was born with health problems he went nuts and Neil Covuto had heart surgery and must have had a brain transplant .

Charles Murdock (@guest_1109373)

Had noticed for at least a year that Fox was beginning to cross the line and becoming more Anti-President Trump and his Administration. Chris Wallace is one of the worst, Juan Williams is a very close second .., wish they would get rid of them.., their perspectives are clearly left leaning and besides that they LIE.. We have turned to the real news networks.., OANN, NewsMax, however, still occasionally watch Hannity, Carlson, Judge Janine and Mark, Steve Hilton Levin.., can’t waste our time with rest of the Fox programming.., you executives at Fox have really screwed up.

Carolyn (@guest_1109390)

Was a faithful watcher of Fox News. I now watch Newsmax. It became so obvious their betrayal of conservatism. They dug their own newsworthy grave, when they defiantly called Arizona for Biden with only 73% of the vote in and arrogantly stood by their call. Hannity, Judge Jeanine, Laura Ingraham, Tucker Carlson r still proud conservatives. My question is how long before they push them away? Thank goodness for other conservative outlets who hold our American values.

Timothy Yorgan (@guest_1109412)

Crap…you interrupted my nap for THAT? When this makes any difference…let me know.