North Carolina Democrat Senate candidate Cal Cunningham abruptly dropped out of a planned town hall appearance on Monday after allegations of sexual misconduct exploded in his face.
Cunningham was caught sending sexually inappropriate text messages to public relations strategist Arlene Guzman Todd. The text messages were published by the NationalFile.com last week.
The Democrat Senate challenger has been married to wife Elizabeth for 20 years, but admitted on Friday to sending the messages to Guzman Todd and asked for privacy as his family works through the scandal.
Additionally, Erin Brinkman, a lawyer who served on Cunningham’s state Senate steering committee from 2009 to 2010, also accused Cunningham of carrying on an affair with one of her friends since 2012. Cunningham has not responded to these allegations.
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) blasted Cunningham’s conduct, calling for him to issue a “full explanation” to constituents and said that as a military officer, Cunningham may be at risk for “disciplinary action.”
“Cal is trying to finesse it as an errant text, but we now have a second report,” Tillis told “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday. “Cal owes the people of North Carolina a full explanation. On the debate stage last week, Cal said it’s about integrity and I agree. His family should be kept private, he’s got teenage children but Cal owes North Carolinians, all of the voters a full and thorough explanation.”
This North Carolina Senate race is absolutely critical to the Democrat objective of overtaking the Senate in November. Cunningham has held a polling and fundraising lead over Tillis throughout the race, but this scandal could derail the plot with only weeks to go until election day.